There are a lot of different ways you can sculpt scales and the tutorial below is just one of many examples that you can use. I’m using a wax in this tutorial but the same steps can be used with polymer clay.
- The first step is to design and sculpt the forms of your sculpture (i.e. muscles bulging, wrinkles in skin, etc)
- Next, using a sharp tool I will draw patterns into my wax.
- Periodically I’ll brush away the excess wax to clean my surface while I work.
- Once I have my pattern to my liking I’ll go back and carve a deeper cutout around my shapes.
- After the excess wax has been removed I’ll begin to smooth out and clean up the sculpture with Odorless Mineral Spirits (use rubbing alcohol if you are sculpting with polymer clay).
That’s pretty much it. The process takes some time to complete but overall I’m happy with the end results.